Sunday, September 7, 2008

Brady injured - everybody breathe, at least so you can sleep

Welcome to my little, humble Patriots blog from Alexandria, VA. I'll post comments on each week's game, other Pats developments, random Jets / Colts / Dolphins bashing, and whatever comes to mind.

Week One: PATS 17 Chiefs 10

As of 8:40 pm ET on Sunday night, I haven't seen the play that injured Brady yet. I was in transit from Colorado Springs to Alexandria via DFW Airport. I get to the airport, find a TV in one of the restaurants that had the NFL ticket, check some scores, 7-3 Pats 14:55 left in 3rd. Shoot, it's taking the offense a bit of time to get in synch this year. I walk around looking for another place to eat, find out Brady left the game in the first quarter. Crap. I eventually settle into a Chili's, where I was able to see the last 20 minutes or so of the game.

I'll only comment on what I saw. A workmanlike, circle the wagons, simplify the offense a bit for Matt Cassel, opening day last twenty minutes. I just saw the hit at 8:46 am, that doesn't look good at all. ESPN's Trent Dilfer spoke with a Pats player who thinks it's season ending. Breathe so you can sleep. What I saw started with a Laurence Maroney 20 yard juke, duke, and spin across the field for 20 yards or so gain. Then I don't recall seeing him again. did he get hurt too?

What I liked: Welcome back Sammy Morris!!!! Pounds the ball, goes outside for a couple of carries, finds the end zone, great to have him back in the offense. Mike Vrabel crashing the collapsing pocket for two sacks. Ellis Hobbs steps up after the KC touchdown and picks off backup Damon Huard. (I GUARANTEE about a million other Pats fans thought uh oh the game gets tougher now with him instead of Brodie Croyle) Brandon Meriweather helping out on the coverage. Seymour stuffing Larry Johnson.

What I really liked: The goal line stand at the end of the game.

Didn't like: Quite a few breakdowns in the blocking didn't help Cassel at all. Giving up a TD right after scoring one to make it tight again. The total breakdown that allowed KC's Darling (WR, not a darling) to make a huge gain down to the Pats 5.

Question: Did the announcers miss a penalty altogether? Because I swear KC got 5 plays from the original first and goal at the end.

Everyone try to sleep tonight.

No comments: