Monday, September 15, 2008

Week Two: Same old JETS!!!!

We still may not be sure how well the Pats will do throughout the season without Tom Brady, but boy was I happy with the game yesterday!!!! Murphy's Pub wasn't as packed as it was for most games in past seasons, but it was 99 degrees out and the game was on the local CBS affiliate (I often stay home when the game's on locally to save $). But, the Cassel chants were going before the opening kickoff; everyone in the bar rallied around him all game.

Speaking of the game: A vintage play the disrespect card, plan thoroughly, make adjustments, Patriots style win. Will Cassel throw 50 yard deep routes to Moss and Gaffney? Not yet. Are we going to see any 48-13 wins this season? Unlikely but with Miami on the schedule twice you never know. But for a guy who hadn't started a game since 1999, he managed the game very, very well. No fumbles, no picks, made nearly every play he had to against a defense that, as much as I can't stand them, is pretty good. The defense? As my buddy Ed mentioned to me after a rare Jets big play, "this is all broken plays, they've done nothing else". That held true pretty much throughout, even on the TD Rodney Harrison got bumped into by another Jets WR and Pats DB, making his missed fade coverage basically a broken play. The Jets never threatened after cutting the Pats lead to six, and the fans were pouring out of the exits before it was over.

What I liked: Meriweather's overall play and the pick. All the Ups that the Globe's Mike Reiss wrote about, but I also want to add Ellis Hobbs to the list of guys who played exceptionally well. Standout all game long. Did I mention that J E T S still stands for Just End The Season?

What concerned me: Pass protection. A few more sacks than I'd like but the line with get healthier and this part of the game will get better.

Finally, if Walt from Annapolis is out there in cyberspace, Kyle Eckel is re-signed! The cult hero of many of the Murphy's Pub faithful is back!

Other team notes: while their drive was aided by a shady non-fumble call, I give Mike Shanahan a keg of Fat Tire of credit for going for two at the end of their game. I'd say the same thing even if the attempt was not successful. As a football fan, it's very refreshing to see a coach see that his defense is beaten down and go for two in the usually conservative NFL.

I can't wait for next week's game against the Dolphins!

No comments: